The Black Business and Professional Association Announces the 2017 BBPA Harry Jerome Award Recipients
The 35th Annual BBPA Harry Jerome Awards: 'Beyond Excellence'
March 29, 2017
TORONTO, ON – March 29, 2017 – The Black Business and Professional Association (BBPA) announced the 2017 winners for the 35th Annual Harry Jerome Awards presented by the BBPA and
According to BBPA President, Pauline Christian, “The winners of the BBPA 35th Anniversary Harry Jerome awards are truly symbolic of this year’s theme ‘Beyond Excellence’. As the BBPA celebrates this significant milestone alongside Canada’s 150th Birthday, it is our hope that the entire Canadian family will come onside in acknowledging the United Nation’s Decade of recognizing people of African descent, 2015 – 2024.”
Established in the memory of Harry Jerome, an outstanding African Canadian Olympic athlete, scholar and social advocate, the BBPA Harry Jerome Awards is an annual celebration that pays tribute to outstanding and inspirational African-Canadians.
Presented by TD Bank, the BBPA Harry Jerome Awards are recognized as one of the most prestigious national award galas in the African-Canadian community and a coveted symbol of achievement. The winners receive awards in sixteen to eighteen categories, yearly. This year’s categories are: Academics, Arts, Athletics, Leadership, Business, Entertainment, Professional Excellence, Health Science, Technology and Innovation, Community Service, Lifetime Achievement, Diversity, Trailblazer, Social Advocacy, Volunteer, Public Advocacy, Youth Advancement, and the President’s Award.
The BBPA is proud to honour and celebrate the following award winners:
- Rev. Dr. Audley N. James (Lifetime Achievement Award)
- Harriet Thornhill (Youth Advancement Award)
- Dr. Everton Gooden (Trailblazer Award)
- Keith Spence (Professional Excellence Award)
- George Frempong (Business Award)
- Isobel Granger (Public Advocacy Award)
- Leanne Prendergast (Leadership Award)
- Sharon Riley (Entertainment Award)
- Gabrielle Fletcher (Academics Award)
- Dr. Barbara Trieloff-Deane (Diversity Award)
- Wesley J. Hall (President’s Award)
- Chris Campbell (Volunteer Award)
- Andre De Grasse (Athletics Award)
- Ron Cunningham (Community Service Award)
- Dr. Juliet M. Daniel (Technology and Innovation Award)
- Cheryl Nembhard (Social Advocacy Award)
- Fabienne Colas (Arts Award)
- Dr. Boluwaji Ogunyemi (Health Science Award)
This year we will also bring recognition to these individuals who have contributed immensely to our community:
- Dr. Trevor Ian Robinson – Honorary Mention
- Raphaelita Walker – Honorary Mention
- David Bell – Honorary Mention
- Dr. Inez Elliston– Honorary Mention
The 35th Annual BBPA Harry Jerome Awards, presented TD Bank, will be held on April 22nd, 2017 at The International Centre, 6900 Airport Rd. Tickets for the Harry Jerome Awards are $200; the Early Bird Rate is $175, until March 30, 2017. To place an order, please call 416-504-4097.
About the Black Business and Professional Association (BBPA):
Founded in 1983, the BBPA is a charitable organization whose mission is to advance Canada’s Black community by facilitating the delivery of programs that support business and professional excellence, higher education and economic development. The BBPA presents the Annual Harry Jerome Awards, the BBPA National Scholarships and the National Black Business and Professional Convention (NBBPC), alongside workshops and programs at the BBPA Centre of Excellence.
For more information, please visit us online at www.bbpa.org, call 416-504-4097 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.